PRODUCT DESIGN INTERN
We design. We build. We code. We think. We craft. We engineer. We teach. We learn. We invent.
At littleBits, we’re on a mission to democratize hardware by empowering everyone to create inventions, large and small, with our platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks. And we believe this mission starts with you. When you join the team, you’ll enter a workspace that encourages innovation, creative expression, teamwork and transparency. We also encourage spontaneous sing-a-longs, furry friends, roaming robots, and lots of laughs. If you are genuinely excited about our mission, and about working with a smart, dedicated and talented group of inventors, artists and doers, we want you on our team!
At littleBits we think the future of product design means empowering users to create their own devices. We need a talented and energetic PRODUCT DESIGN INTERN to help us develop concepts and products that turn our users into makers!
Online or attached portfolios are also a MUST. Applications without a portfolio will be disregarded. Please include a link to your portfolio.
WHAT YOU'LL DO AS A PRODUCT DESIGN INTERN:
- Dream up exciting inventions and challenges for our new kits, anything from a bubble machine to smart cloud enabled devices
- Help user test new content with kids and teachers
- Use rapid prototyping tools like 3D printing, laser cutter, and woodworking tools, to bring new life to products
- Work cross functionally with engineering, sales, marketing and others to help bring your design to our devoted users
THE SKILLS/EXPERIENCE YOU'LL NEED AS A PRODUCT DESIGN INTERN:
- Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in: Industrial/Product Design, Physical Computing, Architecture, Education, or other related field
- Good understanding of the littleBits brand --- you are a maker at heart and excited about sharing the Maker Movement with others.
- A deep understanding of the design process as it relates to user experience, from brainstorm to iteration to final product/project
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Great teamwork and collaboration skills and the ability to also be self-directed
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Outstanding written communication skills
- Must have documentation for working in the U.S.
NOT REQUIRED, BUT A PLUS:
- Experience working with kids in an educational/workshop setting
- Experience with digital prototyping and fabrication tools, including using a Laser Cutter, 3D Printer, machine tools, and Solidworks/Rhino
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY AS PRODUCT DESIGN INTERN:
- Being part of an awesome team that keeps playful inventing at the heart of all we do
- Sweeping views of the Hudson, a tricked-out office and fully stocked kitchen
- All the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, microscopes, microchips, soldering irons, laser cutters, 3D printers, craft supplies and googly eyes you could ever want
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, commuter checks, FSA and 401(K) with an abbreviated waiting period
- Flexible working hours and an unlimited sick day policy
- Generous vacation policy